LinkedIn confirmed yesterday that millions of stolen passwords were posted online. While the affected customers were notified by LinkedIn it is best to change your password there as soon as possible.
Recommendations for passwords:
- Use a separate password for each account you have – paying particular attention to email, banking sites and social networking sites.
- Do not write down passwords.
- Use strong passwords – this includes a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols. (This is tricky since some sites do not accept certain symbols).
- Do not share your passwords with others.
- Choose passwords that are not related to family member names or special dates or other documented personal information.
Related articles: CNET: LinkedIn updates apps in response to privacy concerns